The Black Hills offer a wide selection of accommodations for your wedding from resorts to ranches to campgrounds. Most couples who decide to get married here are attracted to the rugged cowboy environment, and choose to hold their ceremonies in open fields, and their receptions in barns or under tents. There are also several churches and chapels in Deadwood, Rapid City, Sturgis, and the other small towns within the Black Hills. Out of town family members are usually housed in quaint cabins near the reception site. Because the Black Hills region is a popular destination wedding site, you should make reservations well in advance as facilities tend to fill early. Before making arrangements, make sure you have an accurate count of how many guests will be attending the ceremony and reception.
Here are some of the more popular wedding venues:
- Custer State Park: Take your pick from a lush forest background to a ceremony on the edge of Sylvan Lake. This is one of the top wedding venues in the area.
- Chapel in the Hills: This beautiful church is an exact replica of the Borgund Stavkirke of Laerdal in Norway. You'll be blown away by the exterior and interior.
- Canyon Lake Resort: Specializing in weddings and other large events, the folks at Canyon Lake Resort know how to handle all the details. And it's hard to beat the view overlooking Canyon Lake in Rapid City.
- Sunshine Valley Garden: Located in Piedmont, South Dakota, Sunshine Valley Gardens takes pride in creating weddings that feature natural beauty and simplicity.
- Badlands National Park: You'll need a special use permite to hold a wedding here, but the unique scenery makes it worth the hassle.
You can acquire a marriage license at the Lawrence County Office of the Clerk. It costs $40 and is available immediately. Call the office at (605)-578-3930 with questions.